Wester Ross Salmon comes from Wester Ross Fisheries, the oldest independent salmon farm in Scotland. The farm is an entirely hands-on operation. Hand-rearing means that they are on the water EVERY day to feed and observe the fish — not machines or cameras. Hand-feeding the fish with an organic fish meal and following aquaculture best practices results in stronger, tastier fish. Additionally, they use no growth hormones, chemical supplements, or antibiotics.
Its reputation is so good, chefs request it and retailers call it out by name on their menus. It is ideal for sashimi and is delicious cooked or smoked. You’ll love the fact that it has a bright flesh that is strong, lean, and firm. Although Wester Ross Salmon is served at the best restaurants around the world, you can get it at McGonigle’s and make it at home. Try some and let us know what you think. Here’s a great recipe to inspire you!
Wester Ross Salmon with Ginger & Orange
1 lb Wester Ross Salmon Fillets
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Lemon Pepper
1/3 cup Golden Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Ginger Root – Grated Fresh
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/3 cup Orange Juice
- Sprinkle salmon with some of the lemon pepper and garlic powder. Rub about one tbsp of golden brown sugar into fish with the seasoning.
- Mix olive oil and soy sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. Combine fresh ginger and remaining garlic powder, lemon pepper and golden brown sugar with liquid. Simmer gently until all sugar has dissolved. Stir constantly. Remove from heat and add orange juice.
- Add marinade to the Wester Ross Salmon fillet in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Place fillet on a foil-lined baking pan. Save remaining marinade. Preheat oven broiler.
- Broil the fillet for two minutes, skin side up. Take pan out of broiler and remove skin with tongs. Baste fillet with remaining marinade. Broil for two more minutes on the same side. Turn fillet and continue broiling until fillet flakes easily, approximately four minutes. Let sit for five minutes before serving.
McGonigle’s seafood selection is fresh and fintastic! Stop by the store at Ward Parkway and 79th Street for the best seafood in KC!
Psst! Wanna see how Mike McGonigle grills salmon? Check out another great salmon recipe in this grilling video.