Want to enjoy seafood without heating up the kitchen? Try grilling some scallops and vegetables. McGonigle’s has some delicious sea scallops that go perfectly with a little smoky flavor from the grill. It’s a fast, easy, healthy summertime meal. And there’s no need to burn a bunch of candles in the kitchen afterward. Try this recipe for Scallop and Vegetable Kabobs with Tahini Sauce and enjoy!
Servings: 4-6 people
10 large sea scallops (about 1 to 1¼ lbs)
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1-2 small zucchini, cut into ½-inch thick rounds
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
- Heat grill or grill pan to high heat. Be sure the grill is clean and lightly greased.
- TIP: If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 10-15 minutes before loading them up vegetables or scallops to keep them from burning over the fire.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, chives, dill & parsley. Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add the scallops, bell pepper, zucchini. Lightly toss to evenly coat.
- Thread bell pepper, zucchini, and onions on some kabob skewers. Thread scallops on other skewers (TIP: because scallops cook much faster than vegetables, put the vegetable kabobs on and let them soften before putting the scallop kabobs on). Brush any of the remaining herb mixture on kabobs as they are cooking.
- Grill vegetables to desired tenderness (8-10 minutes if you like them crunchy, longer if you like them softer). Grill scallops for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until scallops are barely opaque in the middle and the edges are lightly charred. Transfer skewers to a platter.
- Serve immediately. Top with green tahini, or serve alongside.
GREEN TAHINI SAUCE
Servings: 6-8 people
1 cup tahini
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh dill, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper
Water, as needed
- Pour all ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy (should be the consistency of sour cream. If the sauce is too thick, add water to thin to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauce may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
There’s nothing like a grilled meal in the summertime. Kick back with a cold brew while enjoying the great outdoors. Pick up your sea scallops and other ingredients at our store on 79th Street and Ward Parkway. For the best seafood, it must be McGonigle’s.