“You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken droppings,” at least that’s what founder Bill McGonigle would always say. The same reasoning applies to steak; a high-quality piece of meat is the key ingredient to a delicious steak dinner. But what about the seasoning? We share a few of our favorites below.
Bill McGonigle’s Purist Steak Seasoning
Bill McGonigle was a purist when it came to his steak seasoning, so he kept it simple using the ingredients below:
- A dab of olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- A dash of pepper
Mike McGonigle’s Favorite Seasoning
Mike has ventured out a bit from the purist seasoning recipe. Below is his go-to recipe:
- Start with a dab of olive oil
- Then, sprinkle on Happy-”Holla” Steak & Chop Seasoning: This locally-produced seasoning uses simple ingredients – salt, pepper, sugar, onion powder, and garlic powder
- Add more pepper, because Mike believes you can never have enough
- Do this to both sides of the steak
Tips for Grilling the Perfect Steak
Now it’s time to cook your meat! Use these tips from Mike for grilling the perfect steak, or watch Mike’s step-by-step video:
- Charcoal Grill: Use charcoal briquettes for a nice, even heat with the lid off
- Gas Grill: Have the grill on high with the lid down
- Sear steaks for about 6 minutes on each side
- This will prepare your steaks at a nice medium-rare
- Let them sit for about 5 minutes, this will allow the juices to settle
Too cold to grill outside? Try these tips for baking meat and seafood in the oven.
As always, when you’re wanting the best steaks in Kansas City, stop by McGonigle’s Market! We’re located on Ward Parkway at 79th Street.